Monday, February 8, 2010

Life in the NICU - Jealousy vs. Encouragement

The weekend my daughter was admitted to the NICU there were 21 babies in there. It was, by the nurses' own admission a crazy weekend. There are now 10 babies in the NICU. I've seen babies come and I've seen babies go. I know not all of them are in for prematurity. Some come in for dehydration, some for antibiotics, some are babies with sugar issues. My firstborn was one of these in and out babies. He spent one day in NICU purely because he was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. He was full term.
Of the babies I've seen listed on the board, there are only a few left who were there when my daughter was admitted. The rest are home. I do have a mixture of jealousy and encouragement about this. I'm jealous because I want my daughter home too. I'm encouraged because I can see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. These babies do get home eventually, they just all have their own paths and timelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote

We'd love to hear from you. Email us with your feedback, suggestions and general blog love at clevermamas@gmail.com