Monday, May 3, 2010

The Dangerous Side of Potty Training

Over the past week, my 3 year old has become potty trained (daytime only). Yay! I'm so excited about this because let's face it, having more than one in diapers at a time stinks (pardon the pun), especially when you know that the older one of the 2 is perfectly capable of using a toilet. And now that he's a week dry I feel I can celebrate it. I really don't have anything new to offer to the "how to train your child" mix. I think finding the right motivation helps. With this one, it was the Ikea playplace. Ikea won't let any kids in who aren't trained yet (no pull-ups either). He was very jealous of his older brother getting to go in and he couldn't. So sure, I made sure we made one more visit to Ikea to boost him along. And today is celebration day. After lunch we are headed to Ikea where I will drop the 2 of them off for 45 minutes of playtime and I will get to shop with just the baby in tow.
So what's the danger? Well, you see this particular child has a habit of crawling into bed with us in the middle of the night. He also talks in his sleep. So one night last week I woke up to the sound of, "but I'm a big boy now, I don't wear diapers" followed by the distinct sound of his night diaper tab being ripped off. Yikes! Needless to say that was the last night I put a diaper on him at night - he's been wearing night pull-ups ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, when a child sleeps with his parents, the pull-up diaper is the best bet. Nobody want to be awaken by a wet bed in the middle of the night...

    Good luck with the potty training!

    ReplyDelete

Quote

Quote

We'd love to hear from you. Email us with your feedback, suggestions and general blog love at clevermamas@gmail.com