Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday Mama Musings



Good morning Monday. As mentioned in yesterday's post it is World Breastfeeding Week so today's musing is breastfeeding focused. I'm including both a poll and a plea to comment today! Please, please leave me a message :o) I'm really and truly interested in your answers!

First to last weeks poll, it appears that most of you are blessed with family nearby when searching for a babysitter - lucky you! We did find a new sitter, we know her family a little bit and she came to volunteer at our church's summer kids club. She did a great job with the boys and I'd definitely hire her again :o)

Back to this week's topic. For those nursing mommies (and those no longer nursing), are you comfortable nursing in public? What places have you felt most welcome to nurse your baby? Do you have a favorite place to go? I know I frequented the kids section at Chapters bookstore (great when you have a busy toddler too that can play with the Thomas table) and the public library had some comfy seats with Breastfeeding friendly signs in it.

Are you comfortable nursing in public?

View Results
Create a Blog Poll



Below is a poem written Dr. Suess style that I love. I first saw it in the office of the mother-baby clinic at our hospital. I'm glad I could find it online to share with you :o)

Little ones can squirm and pout
make a fuss and scream and shout
When hunger hits without a doubt,
Sit right down and whip them out.

I would nurse them if they cried,
I could nurse them far and wide,
Here and there or Up or down or on a chair.
For this fine milk is very rare!!!

Would you nurse them on a train?
Would you nurse them on a plane?
Would you nurse them in a car?
Would you nurse them in a bar?

Yes, on a train, yes on a plane.
Yes, in a car, yes in a bar.
I would nurse them here or there.
I would nurse them anywhere!

I would nurse them in a booth,
On the stairs or near the roof.
Anywhere my boys cry out,
I pop the nummies in their mouth.

I can serve it by the ounce,
I can serve it while I bounce.
In a bottle or in a jar,
I can serve from near or far.

Would you, could you nurse in church?
Would you on a shaky perch?
Would you, could you, in the stands?
Could you nurse them with no hands?

I would, I could nurse in church,
Even on a shaky perch.
In the stands, with no hands,
I'll nurse my babies on demand.

Would you nurse them at the store?
Would you nurse them on the floor?
Would you nurse them on a ship?
Careful not to show your nip!

Would you nurse them while on skis?
Would you nurse them on your knees?
Would you nurse them in a tree?
Mummy milk's SO GOOD, you see.

Would you nurse them by the stream?
You could nurse them while you dream.
Can you nurse and clean the house?
Can you nurse and chase a mouse?

Can you nurse and cook a meal?
Mummy's milk is the real deal!
Would you nurse them while you sleep?
How about while you sweep?

Could you nurse them in a sling?
Would you, could you, while you sing?
How about upon a swing?
Mother's milk is just the thing!

Would you nurse them at the park?
Would you nurse them in the dark?
Would you nurse them with a Boppy? (*brand of breastfeeding pillow)
And when your boobs are feeling floppy?

I would nurse them in the park,
I would nurse them in the dark.
I'd nurse with or without a Boppy.
Floppy boobs will never stop me.

Can you nurse with your seatbelt on?
Can you nurse from dusk till dawn?
Though they may pinch me, bite me, pull,
I will nurse them 'till they're full!

Can you nurse and make some soup?
Can you nurse and feed the group?
It makes them healthy, strong and smart,
Mummy's milk is the best start!

Would you nurse them at the game?
Would you nurse them in the rain?
In front of those who dare complain?
I would nurse them at the game.
I would nurse them in the rain.

As for those who protest lactation,
I have a perfect explanation.
Mummy milk is tailor made
It's perfect food, you need no aid.

Some may scoff and some may wriggle,
Avert their eyes or even giggle.
To those who can be cruel and rude,
Remind them breast's the perfect food!

I would never scoff or giggle,
Roll my eyes or even wiggle!
I would not be so crass or crude,
I KNOW that milk's the perfect food!

We make the right amount we need,
The perfect temp for every feed.
There's no compare to milk from breast---
The perfect food, above the rest.

Those nursing smiles are oh so sweet,
Mummy milk is such a treat.
Human milk just can't be beat.
I will nurse, in any case,
On the street or in your face.

I will not let my babies cry,
I'll meet their needs, I'll always try.
It's not about what's good for you,
It's best for babies, through and through.

I will nurse them in my home,
I will nurse them when I roam.
Leave me be lads, leave me be ma'am.
I will nurse them, Mum I am.

Learn more about World Breastfeeding week: http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/

1 comment:

  1. I am totally comfortable nursing anywhere. As long as you are dressed in clothes that make it easy to nurse discreetly, and you are comfortable, it is no problem. It is hard the first few times, but when you have a baby with a scream like a banshee, you figure it is less distressing for all involved if you put something in their mouth than it is for everyone to listen to them scream.

    ReplyDelete

Quote

Quote

We'd love to hear from you. Email us with your feedback, suggestions and general blog love at clevermamas@gmail.com