Saturday, December 18, 2010

Breakfast Cereal - my rant of the week

I just read a Yahoo article about breakfast cereals.  The headline being:

Parents, Don't Be Conned by Sugary Kids' Cereals

 It goes on to tell about how parents give in to the demands of marketing and their kids and buy the cereals.  But then, surprise, surprise kids aren't getting filled up or getting proper nutrition in their diet.  I know big revelation.  You can read the article hereI'm a little bit taken back about the whole thing.  You see my kids don't eat sugar cereals.  That's not to say they wouldn't, but the fact is, we don't buy them.  You don't want your kids to eat sugar for breakfast, then don't get it for them.  My kids don't pour spoonfuls of sugar on their cereal either. That option has never been presented to them.  So am I in the minority here?  I didn't think I was.  We're pretty basic in our cereal choices.  Currently on hand we have Raisin Bran, Cheerios, Honey Clusters Fibre One and Peaches and Cream Oatmeal.  Yes, my kids eat any and all of the above.  My three year old's favorite is Fibre One.  He loves it, and given the choice will pick it 9 times out of 10.  I say kids can be raised to eat well.  They just need to be given the option to do so.  Be the parent here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote

We'd love to hear from you. Email us with your feedback, suggestions and general blog love at clevermamas@gmail.com